Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

feet soles pain from L5-S1/L4-L5 disc herniation

Symptoms of spinal cord problems include weakness,sensory & sphincter disturbances

feet soles pain from L5-S1/L4-L5 disc herniation

New postby mprince on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi there, my name is Martin from Calgary and I am 35 years old. I suffered an injury while working out (doing leg squats) in early 07. An mri showed that I had 2 herniated lumbar discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1, both with degenerative disc desease and spinal stenosis caused by disc herniation. The results stated that at L4-L5 they could not rule out nerve root impingement but at L5-S1 the disc herniation is causing posterior displacement of the left S1 nerve root with the nerve root showing inflammation. Until august 08 the pain was only in left leg above the knee mostly in glute area and upper thigh. I started seeing a new physiotherapist around that time and she recommended doing back extensions every hour of every day. I did and after five days I woke up to find myself unable to walk at all, I felt very intense pain radiating down my entire left leg whenever I put weight on it, also since that day I have loss of feelings on left calve and outside/rear of left foot. I saw a neuro-surgeon in September 08, he suggested doing a left L5-S1 discectomy. Around that time I was able to walk ok but I was feeling pain in the sole of my left foot that I can best describe as heavyness kind of pain whenever I was standing/walking or at back of left foot when laying on my back, it did not prevent me from walking but made it very uncomfortable. The next month I started feeling the same kind of pain in my right foot. I had surgery on March 2nd 09 (a month ago), the surgeon also took care of L4-L5 from left to central. The pain in my feet has not gone away and I don't know where to take it next, I am currently trying reflexology, no changes yet. Also I stopped taking neurontin/ibuprofen a couple of weeks ago and currently not taking any drugs. Please..any suggestions?
mprince
DONOR

Re: feet soles pain from L5-S1/L4-L5 disc herniation

New postby MG (Admin) on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks for your question.

Please clarify:-
1) Do you currently have any problems other than pain (weakness, numbness, problems going to bathroom)?
2) Did you have more than one MRI? if so what was found?
3) Have you had a recent neurological examination? If so what was found?

All the best,
Show your appreciation and support our forum by giving a donation.

Wishing you all good health!

Forum Management Team

Go to Ask The Neurologist main Website
MG (Admin)
Neurology Expert MD

New postby mprince on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:56 pm

1- I have some muscle athrophy on my left leg compared to the right and do feel weaker on that side, as far as numbness goes I have some loss of feelings below the left knee (calve muscle and outside/heel of foot), no problems in the bathroom. The pain right now comes from both of my feet when standing (this heavy feeling). I also have pain in my lower back/left side glute and upper thigh.
2- I've had 3 MRI's done since June of 2007, I scanned the reports (no pictures) for all three of them and tried to attach them here but the files are too big, is there another way I could forward you this info?
3- I did not meet with the neuro-surgeon since my surgery yet, I will see him on April 16th. When I last saw him before the surgery he recommended (based on the last MRI pictures, he did not read the report) a left sided micro-discectomy at L5-S1, after the surgery he told me that they also removed the herniation at L4-L5. One of the doctors who I spoke with after the surgery said that some of the nerves were irritated.
mprince
DONOR

New postby MG (Admin) on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 am

I did not meet with the neuro-surgeon since my surgery yet

IMHO I think you should get a neurological exam from a neurologist at this stage.
Is this possible?

Forum Management Team

MG (Admin)
Neurology Expert MD

New postby mprince on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 am

I have an appt on April 16th with the neuro-surgeon who performed my discectomy. I try to explore other options because so far this neuro-surgeon hasn't been very helpfull at making me understand what the problems are. You think I should speak to my family doctor and ask him to refer me to a neurologist? I have not seen one yet, before or after the surgery. Thx.
mprince
DONOR

New postby MG (Admin) on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:55 am

Yes. I would highly recommend being checked by a Neurologist in your situation.

Let us know how it goes.

ATB

Forum Management Team

MG (Admin)
Neurology Expert MD

New postby jacobean on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 am

Why should I get neurological pain in my feet which is almost instantly followed by my face and neck sweating. This is not psychological as it happens when I am asleep and when doing things when I am absorbed in thinking about something else. This is debilitating.
I first ever experienced this sort of sweating when I had my first fentanyl patch years ago and it never went away entirely even when off fentanyl. I had an L4/5 discectomy and laminectomy last year and woke paralysed from the neck down for a few days. My neurologist thinksthis was someones fault which trapped my spinal cord in my neck. After this I've been left with nerve damage but also the feet problem got so much worse.I had to have a dangerous operation on my neck to ensure I wasn't paralysed for good. For a while the feet problem went. Now unexpectedly I've had to have the first operation repeated [I did wonder why I got a dropped foot after the first operation and bowel problems] and I can't drop my morphine without the feet problem and sweating coming back badly. I'm getting desperate. Nobody can tell me why this happens. I can't see how pain in my feet and sweating on my fack and neck etc makes any physiological sense. Help.
I have enough to deal with without having to try to cope with this too. I want to get off the morphine but I'm prepared to stay on it if it will stop the feel feelings followed by the sweating will be less. Thats how desperate I am. All I want to know is what causes it and how feet pain and sweating at the other end of my body are connected. I understand medical terminology and am familiar with neurological function.
I have loss of sensation in my feet and parts of my lower leg and my neurologist took me off the very small amount of phenytoin I was taking and substituted it for gabapentin -doesn't help and can't increase it to the maximum dose as I get side effects then. The GP tried HRT to see if it was causing the sweating but it didn't help and it isn't due to the menopause at all. I do need help please. I've had three spinal operations and have had to put up with enough really
jacobean

New postby JustinHoward on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 am

If you have such kind of injury i will suggest you to have conversation with a podiatrist and then decide what to do next for a surgery or not. http://www.sydneyheelpain.com.au/contact-us/
JustinHoward

Return to Spinal cord issues