Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

nerve damage after cellulitis

Here you post your new questions for our panel of experts.

nerve damage after cellulitis

New postby mjelancaster1 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:10 am

Several years ago my husband contacted cellulitis in his left calf. He received oral antibiotics and it cleared up in two weeks. two years after that (three years ago), it came back and was just as bad if not worse than the first time. He received an antibiotic shot and also oral. It cleared up, but ever since that second time, he has had a constant tingling/burning sensation in that area of his leg. He has been to several doctors and they have told him that the as long as the antibiotics cleared up the infections, the pain he is having could not be from cellulitis. They even ordered an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. We have moved to Germany as missionaries and we saw a German doctor a few weeks ago as my husband's pain is getting a lot worse - near the point of tears. He ordered an MRI of the back and found a very small herniated disk and some degeneration. The radiologist said that the results were that these back problems would not be giving him pain in that area of the leg. The DR sent us to a neurologist and after testing and interviewing my husband, (I told her about the cellulitis) she gave him 25 mg of Lyrica to take for three weeks and she then wants to increase the dosage to 50 mg for three weeks, then 75 and so on. He hates the side affects (severe drowsiness) and so far it hasn't given him relief. (today is week 2). My question: Can a bacterial infection like cellulitis damage nerves and can the pain get worse over time? Also, If the Lyrica does start to help, will the nerves regenerate themselves and will my husband be able to get off this medication? You can imagine the frustration we have experienced. Thank you for taking time for my question.
mjelancaster1

Re: nerve damage after cellulitis

New postby MG (Admin) on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:49 am

Firstly, the lyrica is for treating hte pain only and does not affect the ability of the nerves to re-generate.
Has he had a nerve conduction test (NCV / NCT / EMG)?

all the best
Show your appreciation and support our forum by giving a donation.

Wishing you all good health!

Forum Management Team

Go to Ask The Neurologist main Website
MG (Admin)
Neurology Expert MD

Return to Post neurology questions