Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

Headaches connected to disc protrusion?

Here you post your new questions for our panel of experts.

Headaches connected to disc protrusion?

New postby kg4885 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm 23 years old and suffering from chronic headaches. For a short history, I have scoliosis in between my shoulder blades and have been in three car wrecks in the last two years. :cry: My concern is this: My second car wreck shoved my head onto the window/roof when I was smacked and I immediately had these headaches. I was told by the chiropractor that I had just pulled some muscles. I continued chiropractic therapy for a few months and had these headaches every time I was adjusted- I was told it was normal... I have continued to have these headaches since and it's been over a year. I recently went to an orthopaedist to take a look at my back (I was sure the scoliosis was causing them because every time my neck pops, I get the headache... also it seems like when my back is the tightest, I get more headaches. I even wake up with them! They feel like the HULK is palming my head. It starts in my upper neck and travels up the top of my head and down to my eyes... the terrible ones make me squint) Anyway, the ortho told me that scoliosis doesn't cause headaches.. so he referred me to a neurologist. The neuro sent me to get mri's and the woman at the front desk called and told me that I have a protruded disc at c6-c7 and that i need physical therapy. I asked if that was what caused my headaches and the dr said no- he thinks i have migraines. I'm REALLY frustrated- I know these have to be connected to my back or neck somehow!! When I pop my neck (bad habit) I immediately get this headache.. how can these possibly not be connected? Flexeril seems to be the only thing strong enough to get rid of them, but I can't take it at work bc it makes me too drowsy. The neuro recently prescribed Midrin, and that seems to work so far... Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way!!!
kg4885

Re: Headaches connected to disc protrusion?

New postby mimi on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm

=================
NON-EXPERT POST
=================

Dear you,

I was a RN for 10 years and saw terrible outcome from accident related injuries. Unfortunately, I never had to suffer from the symptoms myself until a recent vehicle accident. Since then, I do have headaches AND it is not migraines.

I live in BC and had to move 3 times in the last year just to find a decent doctor. I hope this new one is the one, because i just can't find an available GP who wants to take me as a patient because of my ICBC claim.
Fortunately, I had a great chiro with great knowledge who released the pressure on my cervical and lumbar discs, which in turn released the headache temporary each treatment. I have a reversal of normal cervical lordosis at approximately C3-4
level & a small to moderate posterocentral disc protrusion at C4-C5 which abuts but does not appear to compress the thecal sac (as per recent CT Scan). I can tell you that the protrusion definitively compress the thecal sac on movement because all my limbs get numb and hurtful & the headache worsen - affecting my eyes also - and irradiate directly to my soul (lol) NOT FUNNY but I have to laugh to survive!

So, dear one, I completely understand what you are describing in your complaint AND YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE! The preferred treatments are Physio and Chiro to release the symptoms. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good Physio and Chiro in this country so it is foremost important to be referred to one by a friend/family member/online forum etc. You may spend the rest of your life searching and not find one, so try to find as much help as possible from your surroundings.

Signed: Mimi
mimi

New postby Efren on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:10 am

yes it totally different things but sometimes its so happen like headache can b because of some sort of tension or some kind u work out of routin but u should consult with some physical therapist he may be help u out.......
Efren
Efren

New postby broken on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi! So I have always had migraines and I was hit on the highway and crushed 2 vertebra in my back and had a protrusion which just like you guys, my headaches have been way worse and almost always present. I also had docs that don't seem to care much and feel brushex off as mine didn't even tell me that I had 2 more fractures do to the pressure put on adjacent vertebral bodies to the ones that had wedging...best of luck to you guys as I know the things you go through!
broken
DONOR

Return to Post neurology questions