Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

Can't stop humming

Here you post your new questions for our panel of experts.

Can't stop humming

New postby DejahThoris on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am

i get a lot of complaints from my supervisor and co workers about my constant humming. I don't even realize I'm doing it. Can there be a neurological cause to constant, non intentional humming? I have a few other unresolved problems, such as O.N., occasional nystagmus, and tingling and weakness. But my MRI is okay except for an empty sella.
DejahThoris

Re: Can't stop humming

New postby clinicalguru3 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:05 am

Do you have problems concentrating as well?
"...let the patient talk about their headache for at least 5 minutes without interruptions"

Get Neurology Teaching & Study Material at

http://www.asktheneurologist.com/Study-Neurology.html
clinicalguru3
Neurology Expert MD

New postby DejahThoris on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Well, yes I am often in a muddle; but at 55 perhaps that is only to be expected. I work in Medicaid policy, and sometimes I don't have a clue what I'm doing or what we're talking about. Other times my analytical skills are excellent. What do other people do about the music running through their head? Why doesn't it make them hum? I've finally gotten to see a neurologist after many months of waiting (yeah, I know, us Medicaid policy people should do something about the reimbursement rate) and he's sending me for an MRA tomorrow. Not quite sure why. Well, here's one odd little fact; when I'm stuck or muddled I don't seem to hum. When its called to my attention that I'm humming, I'm always in the middle of a productive flow. And when they make me stop humming, it brings me to an abrupt halt. I surely can't be the only person in the world like this?
DejahThoris

New postby DejahThoris on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 am

I had the MRA; the neurologist says that there is only one white area, not significant for anything. He says that none of my symptoms lie outside what is to be expected from my narcolepsy. Does that mean that the music is a hallucination like the ones I have when I am sleepy? I don't see how that can be. When I'm muddled and groggy, the music helps me.
DejahThoris

New postby Pam405 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Dejah - I also am a constant hummer and agree completely that it is times of productivity and happiness that I hum the most. I think I like having alone time so I can hum without bothering others! but what causes it and why doe it occur, I also want to know. and I don't think it is that common. You are the first person I have ever seen write of it.
Pam405

New postby christy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

I am having the same problem. About 6 - 8 months ago, I started humming all the time. Initially I hummed while happy. Now I hum when I am happy and other times too. Sometimes I don't know I'm doing it and sometimes I catch myself doing it. I can stop, but then I start back up again. It is bothering my husband, and I wonder if I'm doing it at work too. When my family points it out, I usually have no idea and I'm lost in thought when I'm doing it or busy doing something. Now, I don't want to do it anymore, but I can't stop. The humming, which had once been enjoyable, now seems like a compulsive behavior. Yes, I also have concentration problems. I am diagnosed with ADD. I have difficulty with transitions. I have difficulty starting and stopping. Once I get involved in something, I'm okay. In fact, once I get started, I get lost in it. I get into what I call a "zone". I am very productive during those times. I have difficulty stopping and making the transition from what I'm doing to something else. Especially if I'm enjoying myself and in the zone. For example, I am always leaving work late, because I don't know how to transition out of work. I usually end up working over. Or I am always late to be somewhere, because I can't judge when I should stop and wrap up. I am female and in my mid-forties. I am married and have two sons. I have a great job and I am good at what I do, including the paperwork. I am very detail oriented when it comes to my documentation. I am also behind with my paperwork. Instead of just getting it done, I continue to focus on the quality, instead of just knocking them out to get them done and catch up. There is no end to the distractions that keep me from getting things done. What can I do?
christy

New postby ringer on Sun May 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I too have starting this annoying habit - however mine is not harmonious. Songs do often enter my mind, and sometimes I understand why they crept in, and often not. But this recent trend is not musical; it is more gutteral and occurs more frequently than I probably even realize. I am clinically depressed and have been on meds for a long time. A doc did change me from a combo of Effexor and Wellbutrin to Effexor and Adderall. I was struggling w/ concentration/focus at work. That is in addition to my lack of discipline - basically in all areas of my life. I can't really say if the humming starting before or after the Adderall, but it does seem to help me 'do the work' I'm supposed to do. Still I have little reserve energy for anything else - esp at home.

My house is a disgrace; I'd be horrified for anyone to see it. This is not something I've always struggled with - not in this extreme anyway. I've always had trouble organizing to some extent - except in my kitchen. I tended (in the past) to be almost anal retentive there-spices alphabetized, dishes put away w/ patterns matching sides; pots by size, etc. Now, I rarely even cook and use paper plates.

History: hard breakup four years ago; was w/him 10 years; helped raise his 3 kiddos whom I love dearly; had issues; left me for someone 20 years younger than me - 30 younger than him. Even tho we didn't bring out the best in ea other, I feel I'm obsessed w/ him: often thought of leaving but never (sometimes afraid) could; and w/ his rn w/ 'her.'
ringer

New postby Lisamaria on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 am

Hi , i also have the same problem but i have been doing this since i was 4 years old , i also do it when im being productive / concentrating and also i dont realise im doing it ,but to be honest it doesnt actually bother me and i find it quite relaxing but yes it bothers other people lol , i dont actually wish to stop it i would just be interested to know the reson i do it so if anyone can tell me that would be great thanks lisa xx
Lisamaria

New postby Savannah Ga on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Ok Im 38 year old white guy that has hummed constantly since about 25 yrs old when I was working a full time job and going to college at night and dealing with of overwhelming resposibilites ie. feeding the kids, rent etc. Finally got hooked up with a great MD that listened and really tried to help. He tried me on several different meds. This was tough, it took trying 5 diffrent drugs over a 6 month period until he found one that fixed it. Started with Buspar,Effexor, Kava Kava, Sr John Wart, even marijuana, then a bunch of other "non-addictive based" nerve compounds . None worked, had side effects, dizzy, foggy headed etc. What really , really , really FIXED it wass: a pill called xanax; I believe it was 2 milligrams and I took a 1/4 of the pill when I got up and 3/4 after work. IT WORKED!! Problem is my Doc retired; and any new Doc you mention xanax to theier guard comes up and your considered to possibly have a drug proplem. My Doc retired 2 years ago and havent taked any Rx at all; Guess what Humming like a maniac, worker, family friend everyone saying I drive them bonkers with the hummming, whistle, tapping. But; I just picked me a new MD and have got to push the issue that the wheels in my brain are turning all the time, preventing necessary rest. Probably have to try some "new" stuff out , but so be it. Hope this was helpful, I will post some results asap.
Savannah Ga

New postby NeuroFan15 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a colleague that hums all the time while we are working. At first I was bothered by it, but he explained that he wasn't aware of it happening. He also states that it happens most often during productivity or success at work. He and I are the only 2 employees in our area so when he starts to hum I just join him with my own tune. That way I can just hear myself and we don't break each others concentration. I would be interested in reading what causes the humming too!
NeuroFan15
NeuroFan15

New postby dstack1014 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks to Savannah Ga for that! I've searched forum after forum and this is the only post I've seen any solution. I only started humming within the last 6 months and only started bothering me in the past week. I'll be interested in checking back later if anyone else has found any other remedies. I would really like to find a neurologist's opinion as to what causes this. Yes, I do have some anxiety, but nothing that is so out of the ordinary from what I've dealt with in my life before. BTW, I'm 42.
dstack1014

New postby rextine on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:37 pm

OMG! we live in apartment our downstair neighbor hummed really loud we can hear him, he never leaves the apartment now, i used to see him go out to lunch during the summer time and now he just order pizza, he doesnt work either. his very nice guy, right now i can hear him humming. im just wondering why he does that. he looks normal to me. i hope his ok. thanks for the info guys. i thought i was crazy when i hear somebody humming, my husband heard it today and he thought it was the tv lol..(oh hubby) anyway thanks for the info...
rextine

New postby kannie on Wed May 11, 2011 12:36 am

Please help!

My 64 y/o aunt moved in with me and my family (husband and kids), and we are going bonkers with her humming. I don't recall her ever humming this way but it is compulsive, and non-stop.

I noticed that she hums when she is busy doing something, when she things she's alone, or when there is silence. She even hums when she's eating. It sounds like she's talking, actually, because the humming is not melodic; it's more like a conversation in hum language. I never hear a familiar tune or more than two notes together that make a melody. It's like she wants to talk to herself but hums instead. It worries me a lot because it's clear to me that she's highly anxious, and that should be treated.

History: She moved in with us because her original plans fell through: she and her adult gay son were going to live together happily ever after but alas, he found a mate, and now, she has nowhere to go. Of course, we love her and took her in, but I don't thinks she's happy. Instead, she "pretends" to be happy by humming. I think it's a cleaver disguise. I think what she wants to do is actually cry, cry and cry some more!

I don't want to call it to her attention. I think she's sort of fragile right now, feeling rejected. So, we just put up with it but friends that come over call her the Humming Bird. I laugh a little with them, but I know there's real pain inside her heart. She has no insurance, so I would have to find a psychiatric place that offers a sliding scale fee. In the meantime, what do I do to curb her compulsive behavior?

Kannie
kannie

New postby nextep on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I have had this same behavior for many many years. I hum when productive and think out loud without realizing it. Most of the time i don't even realize i'm doing it. I am not on any meds what so ever and have been free of anti depressants for almost a year, I would like it to stop and preferably without ADs.

Anybody come across any help or new findings out there?

Thanks!
nextep

New postby jeanmarie on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm a 53 yo woman who has been on Cymbalta and Adderal for a number of years... I've been a mindless hummer for more years than I can remember! I never thought it was a problem... two of my aunts also hum a lot, and I've only had a handful of comments from family and friends, but my recent road trip with a good friend made me want to find out why I do it (it REALLY bugged her!) and if I can stop it. I'm at the point where I can stop if I notice that I'm doing it, but then I'll have to be vigilent about not starting up again. I do tend to be obsessive about things sometimes, but I can also be very distractible at times. I notice that OCD and ADD/ADHD often come up when researching this issue, and, while I've never been officially diagnosed with either, my psych md thinks that it is possible. We'll explore that avenue as soon as I resolve my current emotional struggle.

I'm sorry that others have this problem, but I am grateful to know that I am not alone in this. I would be interested in hearing how you are doing or if you've learned anything more.
jeanmarie

Next

Return to Post neurology questions