Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

Arrhythmia caused by vagus nerve

Here you post your new questions for our panel of experts.

Re: Arrhythmia caused by vagus nerve

New postby radseg on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 am

Hi, All--I've just joined the ranks of GERD sufferers; that is, formally. I've had the hallmark symptoms for more than 10 years, but had no idea what was causing my (primary) symptom of throat and upper chest burning. I had described it to more than one doctor over the years, as a "feeling of fullness" and "as if I've just eaten a handful of peppermints." Prior to becoming aware of this sensation, I had been using over-the-counter decongestants/antihistamines for an extended time and was initially told that I probably had "ephedrine burn." So I pretty much stopped using that medication.

Around this same time of becoming aware of the burning, I also began to have episodes of "palpitations" and pounding at the base of my throat--dismissed as "panic attacks." These episodes (as many of you have experienced) occurred at any time of the day or night. After about 10yrs, I finally had an extended episode and my dear husband decided I should visit the ER, where I was diagnosed with SVAT (superventricular atrial tachycardia). Finally a diagnosis! Fine. (None of you has mentioned using the Valsalva Maneuver to interrupt/reset heart rhythm, where you simply take a deep breath and bear down--it works--which stimulates the vagal nerve, incidentally).

Along with these two benign but weird symptoms, I suddenly began having (rare) extreme motion sickness, which I never had in my life. And the most annoying/distressing symptom: dizziness (constant). I've had extensive vestibular system testing (all normal). The only neurologist I've seen thus far offered meclazine (antihistamine) and said I could have a disturbance on a "cellular level," which would never be diagnosed. So, now I've figured out a string of another symptom (began about 4yrs ago) of burning/tingling/numbness: first in a toe, then my knee,(sent to a rheumatologist who said it's "tendinitus") now palm of hand (all left-sided). Oh, and burning mouth/tongue (very unpleasant).

Needless to say, I've been reading tons online and trying not to totally freak out. Let me say, I'm a 58yr old woman, otherwise healthy, fairly ideal weight. I don't think I'm a hypochondriac. I advocate for myself, as must we all, and educate myself when I find no answers in doctors' offices. And I don't bounce from one to another, but as my family practice physician runs out of ideas (vitamin/mineral deficiencies--plausible, but negative), I search and read. I just started taking magnesium (chloride form) and a daily multi-vitamin, hoping for a miracle fix. I wish I felt more positive and hopeful, but...you all know how it goes.
radseg

New postby radseg on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

Continuing my ruminations: I was told 20yrs ago that I have fibromyalgia. Even with medication, I sleep very poorly. How critical is this one issue in the overall big picture? And how about chronic mild (to moderate) dehydration--I've never been a big drinker--as a major factor in weird "syndromes?" So I occasionally force myself to drink lots of water (2-3 litres--don't you hate the metric system?--that's roughly 2-3qts) hoping to feel reborn!

We all start frantically trying to "tread water." That's what we do. And, unfortunately, we're usually made to feel like it's all in our heads or that we're hypochondriacs. But if we don't pay attention and search and SHARE, we get depressed, become isolated, and ultimately give up. So for whatever it's worth, let's all keep reaching up and out. In fact, the medical community should be THRILLED we're doing so much of their legwork! :)

Best to all,

Chris
radseg

New postby chootik on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi Everyone.

I found this site a few days ago and was surprised to find others who are having the same issues as I am!

I have been having symptoms since 4 years ago!

It's been really difficult to find a cure for this.

My symptoms are: Palpataions with a full stomach, full bladder and like many I cann't eat sugar, coffee, alcohol or any stimulants.

I have noticed that excercise and accupuncuture help the nerves and I do think it's def. the Vagus nerve that got inflamed a few years ago when I went to the ER with an allegic reaction and they had to give me a neonephrine shot which I think started this whole ordeal!

My question to anyone reading this is: Do you know what caused your vagus nerve sensitivity? Has anything helped you?

Hopefully we will find an answer to our questions one of these days and feel better. If anyone wants please feel free to contact me at chootik@hotmail.com

Thanks
chootik

New postby jennyct on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:22 am

Have any of you considered acalculus (no stones) gallbladder disease? I had very similar symptoms as Rick did and I believe it was triggered by antibiotic and anti inflammatory use. I was getting fullness in stomach waking me up at night with palpitations. Intermittent squeezing in chest as if someone was squeezing a balloon and air was coming out (coughing also). Things got really bad and finally this week they tell me that my GB isn't working (HIDA scan). I haven't had surgery yet, but now I am finding that my pressure (gas, bloating, etc) causes faintness and it scares me. I feel as if my head is being squeezed and I get ringing in my ears. This happens after food moves through the area and when I bend over. My heart rate seems stable but fainter than usual. Even though I am anxious when this happens, my heart rate doesn't go up!
jennyct

New postby Burke1 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi all. I just found this site today. I've had arrhythmia episodes since my 20's; I'm now 60. Went the whole cardiologist route...nada. From the get-go I associated it with digestive issues and found a huge improvement by eliminating dairy products from my daily diet (a sinful serving of ice cream once/month is doable). My GP prescribed Valium (Diazepam) 5mg to take at bedtime so I could get some sleep. This also was a huge help. He warned me of the danger of addiction to Valium, so I only used it 2 to 3 times a week. After about a year, I was down to about once per month if my heart was "jumping" at bedtime. That was the drill for35 years. Just this year, a new symptom - rapid heart beat (150-200 beats/min) - showed up. I began drinking V-8 (for the potassium) and feel this has helped but not eliminated the episodes, which have lasted 0.5 to 2 hours. My backup is still Valium. My last episode was a month ago, until today at my daughter's house. I had lunch, then bent down to pick up my grandson and bammo...200 bpm! I went to the kitchen and popped a 5mg Diazepam, sat down, thought calming thoughts, and in 20 minutes all was normal. My daughter never new a thing. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you all.
Burke1

New postby surgerystudies on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:47 pm

All of you should ask your doctors about glossopharyngeal (IX) neuralgia, especially if your cardiac symptoms are closely related in time to swallowing. This syndrome is clearly associated with cardiac arrhythmias & even cardiac arrest.

Remind your doctor that a branch of IX (the sinus branch of Hering) innervates the carotid sinus baroreceptors & also provides parasympathetic control to the heart. Also remind them that there have been many documented cases of PAINLESS glossopharyngeal neuralgia with cardiac syncope. These cases have also been relieved by microvascular decompression (aka neurosurgery) and/or a tricyclic depressants (like amitriptyline).

To be clear, I am NOT a physician and my advice should be taken with consideration.
surgerystudies
DONOR

New postby RobL on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Where do I begin? I guess where this nightmare started. I will post this in the hope that it may help some of you - or maybe - get some help in return. 50 year old male in perfect health. Never sick a day in my life and was (in my opinion) in the top 10% of health. I played a pro sport and was an athlete all my life. One pack a day smoker along with 3-4 cups of coffee a day. Italian and raised on tomatos. :)

May21 2010 I benched 375 - part of a daily routine of free weights and hard work as a plumber. May 22 2010 I woke, light one and have the first cup of coffee of the day. Pain shot through my jaw and my left arm went numb. May 23 2010 sat down for lunch (great eater) and downed 3-4 egg rolls. Had a sharp pain in my chest and both arms went numb. Headed to the ER for the first of six visits in the next three months. Diagnosed with Barret's and GERD. Heart lungs and the rest of me normal. Over 140K worth of testing. Have had every single test out there with the exception of a PET scan. All normal. A list follows:

CAT of chest-stomach-Brain
MRI of chest-stomach-Brain
Heart work ups include everything but the kitchen sink. All normal. GI places me on PPI's and I have severe reactions to all. At least I thought it was. AFIB with Tach sends me in an ambulance for the last time on July 7th. Tests all normal. From May 22 2010 to August 2 2010 I am in bed most of the day with AFIB and spasms in my stomach. Shortness of breath, general feeling of weakness and IBS issues. Doctors say they have never seen a case like me. Living on tums, carafate and heartache. I go from 260 pounds of solid muscle to 185 pounds of fat and no muscle. Seriously thinking about ending it all but remember I have kids who love me. Every day, day in and day out, wake and try and eat something. Then it starts:

Spasms in stomach
Heart skips a beat
Dizzy and light headed
Shortness of breath

I gave up the smokes, drink only water and eat rice and chicken with a few carrots. Only food I can handle. Set up an appointment with the third GI guy who places me on Dexilant (60mg). Same reactions to this PPI. Only now also have numbness of entire left side. Go off that after 5 days. Back on tums and carafate. Stool so hard and dry I had to physically put my finger up there to remove it. Pulled back dust...think I'm dying from the inside out. Now I pass out on the bowl due to constipation and AFIB. Seriously...what the hell is happening to me. Not the type to give up and sit in my own sauce. Back the the GI guy and I ask him to cut the Dexilant down to (30mg).

I'm back folks. Its been 3 weeks and I'm back to work. Spasms gone for the most part and if I don't eat when my body tells me too they come back. Not as servere and although I still have skipped beats I can manage it. Eating normally, see the sun again, and hoping and praying that each morning I can get up. The Dexilant is taken once a day and so far so good.

I did find out one thing about this experience. The medical profession knows very little about the nervous system. Its the last frontier of medicine and when they learn all about it I truly believe they will extend life by some years. Until then we are on our own. The 10th cranial nerve (vagus) is the largest nerve in our body. It looks like a boa constrictor snake. It controls all our major organs and no two of us are alike. We are at its mercy. I hate that dang nerve :)

Best wishes to all and 'chin up'. Each day is truly a gift now. Each morning when I open my eyes and lay in bed waiting for the vagus dance and it don't come..is a great day. Wishing all of you a great day. Rob
RobL

New postby RobL on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Update:

Jenny - you may have saved my life! Had the HIDA scan and my gall Bladder is shot to sh_t! Seems that although all previous tests were negative - my GB is not functioning, as well as, springing two leaks. I want you all to do some research on the endocrine system and its relation to the vagus nerve. You will be surprised to find how closely relation they are. The GB is severly over looked and although I think my GI guy is a good one - he is getting called on the carpet! I am scheduled for surgery this Friday. Will advise when I can - if not - I'm in a better place!

Hopefully...:)

Self Diagnosis..we only have each other and yourself!

Peace Rob
RobL

New postby peters on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi! This may not work for you, but it worked for me. I have had crazy vagus-heart palpitations for years tons of tests etc to no avail. 1. Stay hydrated and eat enough salt and potassium-----a V8 juice every day 2. Acidolphilus/reuteri probiotic pearls at your health food store. Ridiculously simple.------peters
peters

New postby jpek on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I just got back from a MD visit. Had a extreme arrhythmia episode. I was told that there are ways to settle down the Vagu nerve.

1. Push your lower stomach like you are attempting a bowel movement.
2. Make a fist a blow into it like you are inflating an already full balloon.
3. Very cold water on the face.

Interesting that the first create downward pressure on the stomach. That would suggest to me that there is definitely a stomache/Vagus nerve connection.

Also interesting, still no expert post.
jpek

New postby Occamsrazor on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Interestingly enough, Antacids can bind to Potassium and cause malabsorption, and potassium runs the heart beat. So....if you are suffering from indigestion and start popping antacids, it could exacerbate or cause an Arrhythmia. Its a catch 22 for sure.
Occamsrazor

New postby hoopfreak16 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Has anyone had there adrenaline glands checked. And or catecholimine levels checked. I have chest pain, upper right and left. Abdominal pain, dizziness lighted feeling. I have been wondering about my adrenaline glands. Specifically dopamine and other catecholimines levels but can't get any doctors to take me serious . They tell me I'm diabetic and that is the cause for my problems. I disagree as I have had sensitive vagal nerves. Blocking out if I swallow to much air, and other ways. I have developed sensitivity to caffeine as well.
E
hoopfreak16

New postby hoopfreak16 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Has anyone had there adrenal glands checked? And or catecholimine levels checked? I have chest pain, upper right and left. Abdominal pain, dizziness lighted feeling. I have been wondering about my adrenal glands. Specifically dopamine and other catecholimines levels but can't get any doctors to take me serious . They tell me I'm pre-diabetic and that is the cause for my problems. I disagree as I have had sensitive vagal nerves. Blocking out if I swallow to much air, and other ways. I have developed sensitivity to caffeine as well.
hoopfreak16

New postby hoopfreak16 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Has anyone had there adrenal glands checked? And or catecholimine levels checked? I have chest pain, upper right and left. Abdominal pain, dizziness lighted feeling. I have been wondering about my adrenal glands. Specifically dopamine and other catecholimines levels but can't get any doctors to take me serious . They tell me I'm pre-diabetic and that is the cause for my problems. I disagree as I have had sensitive vagal nerves. Blocking out if I swallow to much air, and other ways. I have developed sensitivity to caffeine as well.
hoopfreak16

New postby NeuroFan15 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Hello everyone, I'm very grateful for all this information. I know that some of these answer were posted a long time ago but I have a family member that is suffering from these same symptoms. I am going to print this out and show him so he can see that there are solutions out there. I appreciate everything.
NeuroFan15
NeuroFan15

PreviousNext

Return to Post neurology questions