Ask The Neurologist Updates

Go to Neurology homepage!
Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name

Head sizzling

Masses in the brain are not always tumors.They may be completely benign or require urgent attention.

Head sizzling

New postby cbalajicse on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:26 am

My mom has a problem, she is unable to sleep on he right side, when she tries ti sleep on right side, the head ache and head sizzles. SHe is unable to turn her head on her right side. We hada test which shows she is suffering from hyperthyroidism, and still is facing this problem.
Can anyone please tell what is hapening to my mother.
cbalajicse

Re: Head sizzling

New postby chibilito on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Given the description of this headache you could be experiencing either migraine or a tension headache. Migraines is a primary headaches with unknown cause. Tension headaches are a large group of headaches caused by various reasons.

Tension headaches result from the contraction of neck and scalp muscles. One cause of this muscle contraction is a response to stress, depression or anxiety. Any activity that causes the head to be held in one position for a long time without moving can cause a headache. Such activities include typing or use of computers, work with the hands, and the use of a microscope, for example. Sleeping in a cold room or sleeping with the neck in an abnormal position may also trigger this type of headache. Other causes include eye strain, fatigue, alcohol use, excessive smoking, excessive caffeine use, sinus infection, nasal congestion, overexertion, colds, and influenza. Tension headaches are not associated with structural lesions in the brain.

It is very important that you exclude possible organic brain disorders for this headache such as a brain tumor, infection etc. That can be achieved by performing MRI of the head. You may consult a neurologist about this for follow up and more information.
chibilito

New postby maratharibe on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

I don’t claim to be a food ‘expert’ in any shape or form – whether as a taster or cook. However, I do enjoy good food when I am offered it, and especially when I have friends with me who know more about it than I do, and help me learn something about it.

spine surgeons california
maratharibe

New postby wolfie on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 am

chibilito wrote:Given the description of this headache you could be experiencing either migraine or a tension headache. Migraines is a primary headaches with unknown cause. Tension headaches are a large group of headaches caused by various reasons.

Tension headaches result from the contraction of neck and scalp muscles. One cause of this muscle contraction is a response to stress, depression or anxiety. Any activity that causes the head to be held in one position for a long time without moving can cause a headache. Such activities include typing or use of computers, work with the hands, and the use of a microscope, for example. Sleeping in a cold room or sleeping with the neck in an abnormal position may also trigger this type of headache. Other causes include eye strain, fatigue, alcohol use, excessive smoking, excessive caffeine use, sinus infection, nasal congestion, overexertion, colds, and influenza. Tension headaches are not associated with structural lesions in the brain.

It is very important that you exclude possible organic brain disorders for this headache such as a brain tumor, infection etc. That can be achieved by performing MRI of the head. You may consult a neurologist about this for follow up and more information.

I agree with this. It is very likely a tension headache, or possibly a migraine. The symptoms sound very similar to what I experienced a while back. I went to the doctor to have it checked out, and he assured me that it was a tension headache. He prescribed me some ibuprofen, which helped. If your mothers symptoms persist, she may want to have it check out, just so that she can rule out anything serious, but it's very likely nothing to be concerned about.

Regards,
Wolfie
wolfie

New postby ross88online on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:41 pm

I don’t claim to be a food ‘expert’ in any shape or form – whether as a taster or cook. However, I do enjoy good food when I am offered it, and especially when I have friends with me who know more about it than I do, and help me learn something about it.

ross88online

Return to Brain tumors and masses